Special needs catered for
A range of special needs catered for, including Asperger’s, Autism and Dyslexia. Learners can study for a range of GCSEs and vocational qualifications.
Specialist facilities include a dedicated suite for speech, language and occupational therapies, a sensory room and the Oast Café for on-site work experience.
Home school links
Links with local mainstream colleges; supporting learners into the college of their choice in their home authority; regular contact with parents via home/school communication books, phone calls, emails plus regular events at school and parent/teacher progress meetings.
Set on a tranquil 37 acre site, learners have access to playing fields, gardens and horticulture area including chickens and polytunnels, along with a duck pond. Additional leisure facilities include a new social building, designated music room to encourage communication via playing music as a group, and multi-use games area providing a safe all-weather outside space for learners to play basketball, football and other sports. Learning facilities include a new state of the art classroom block which includes a designated food technology classroom and art class.
Aims and philosophy
LVS Hassocks provides a unique, positive education for young people on the autism spectrum. It successfully:
• Gives learners the skills they need to live independently as adults
• Improves learners’ academic achievements
• Builds learners’ confidence in dealing with social situations
• Helps learners leaving after exams to go on to further education or training for the job they want
• Provides the right environment to help young people with autism do well