Maple Grove School
Special needs catered for
• Pupils will be aged between 5 and 16 years
• All pupils will have a diagnosis of autism.
• All pupils will have an Education, Health and Care Plan.
• Pupils may have learning difficulties and/or low attainment that are associated with their Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC) needs.
• Pupils may have specific learning difficulties associated with ASC, a range of complex learning and communication needs and additional needs such as dyslexia, dyspraxia and dyscalculia.
• Pupils may be admitted based on their need for therapeutic support.
There are six bright and well-proportioned classrooms in the school, each of which have easy access to the central hall, specially designed arts and ICT areas, sensory room and therapy room. Wall decorations are deliberately understated and muted so as to promote a sense of calm across the school. Careful consideration has been given to the acoustics of the school, with sound-reducing wall and ceiling panels installed to support pupils who are easily stimulated and overwhelmed by noise.
We are also fortunate to be situated in the bustling Chester suburb of Hoole and have links with a number of local businesses and organisations, including a specialist children’s hairdresser who often visits the school. Our individually tailored curriculum covers all National Curriculum subjects in imaginative and flexible ways.
Support services provided
Partnership is key to the success of Maple Grove. We work closely with parents and carers, therapists, Local Authority and medical colleagues and agencies such as Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) to ensure that each pupil accesses exactly the right package of support to meet their needs.
Maple Grove was originally the site of Hoole and Newton School, which was built in 1912. The building has been carefully restored and refurbished, creating a calm and inviting environment combining the old-world charm of an historic building, with modern, carefully planned learning spaces suitable for specialist learning. In addition to our bright and spacious classrooms, we have a sensory room and several flexible spaces in which we can deliver enriched curriculum opportunities catering towards meeting individual needs. Outside, we have spacious grounds including a recently resurfaced playground, a separate grassed play area, sensory gardens, and smaller enclosed courtyards for individuals and small groups.