Special needs catered for
Belmont School Caters for a wide range of needs including:
• Social, Emotional, Mental Health and other associated conditions, which may adversely affect themselves, others and their learning.
• Cognition and Learning difficulties including MLD, SpLD, dyslexia, dyscalculia and dyspraxia, below to average cognitive ability with discrepancies in attainment and/or achievement, gaps in learning from disrupted education.
• Interaction and social difficulties including Asperger’s Syndrome and Autism, difficulties with social interaction, difficulties with language, communication and imagination, associated challenging behaviours.
In addition to classrooms for each subject area there is the Science laboratory, a Design and Technology room, a media suite, a building and construction room, an Art room, a Food Technology kitchen, a music room and a library/resource centre. The school has three state of the art computer suites one with CAD design facilities.
The school cellars have been converted to accommodate a multi-media Art suite, specialising in large-scale canvas productions and expressive visual art. The other cellar area houses activity rooms where pupils can play pool and table tennis and have access to state of the art gaming/media facilities.
The school has recently opened a specialist Vocational Unit called “The River Side”. This amazing facility has been converted with specialist workshops and state of the art equipment that enables us to deliver City and Guild qualifications in building and construction and motor vehicles.
Aims and philosophy
At Belmont, we deliver the National Curriculum at Key Stages One, Two and Three, tailoring it where necessary to meet the specific needs of our pupils. The school places great emphasis on literacy and numeracy skills.
The curriculum is designed:
• To provide opportunities for all pupils to learn and achieve.
• To promote pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development and prepare all pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of life.
The aims and values of the school emphasise a strong commitment to provide a high quality provision for all our students. The school aims and values are embedded in the school policies and are reflected in the culture of the school.